Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Listen to the Muslims

This poem began as a mis-hearing of the first line of Shel Silverstein's poem "Listen to the Mustn'ts" and became a writing exercise:

Listen to the Muslims, child.
Listen to the Sikhs.
Listen to the Buddhists and
The Christians and the freaks.
Listen to the atheists;
The listen close to me:

Your life would be much better if
You find someone like me. -- Ashlie F.

Insanity can occur when you
Don't listen to me. -- Nana A.

No one knows for sure your thoughts
Until you set tem free. - Sloane F.

God is there for everyone
Despite what they believe. - Kalish S.

What you think you thought from these,
Listen to them, please. - Alec H.

Jesus is the Savior whom
I choose for me. - Eric L.

'Cause you'll listen to anything
When you're stuck in a tree. - Jaime Z.

Put your faith in God
For he is the key. - V. McLaurin

All of them are wrong because
The truth is in the trees. - John S.

You must believe in something, child.
In something must believe. - Christine M.

These religious people
Have really got to pee. - Sarah W.

So many different beliefs
The Christian one is me. - Sierra N.

You should forget all that
And stick to me. - Anonymous

Now give me back the hall pass
So I can go and pee. - Kelli B.

Whatever faith you have or lack
In this place you are free. - b.

No comments: